I have heard and seen a bunch of emails about the problems with CFL clean up if it breaks. Some of those emails included exaggerations and myths. I finally figured I would to a bit or research to find out if I really had to deal with an onerous clean-up should a CFL break. I went to the Utah Poison Control Center’s website and found the information I was looking for.
The Center’s Winter 2009 newsletter discusses the issue: Winter Issue: Cough & Cold Medications for Children and Compact Flourescent Light Bulbs
Based on this post’s title, I think you might know what I found in the issue and my conclusion.
Of course, government is involved and has banned light bulbs in the 40 to 150 watt range (those used in residences) by 2014. I guess that gives me another 6 years to stock up. After 2014, I suppose we can pass legislation to fund mercurity-contaminated home clean up and child mercury poisoning prevention programs. In the 1970s we had lead, in the 2010s we’ll have mercury.